Thursday 5 August 2010

Sing Together





I was making a short recording yesterday for a tiny pupil of around 7 years old. I promised I would give her some new repertoire to keep her going over the loooong Summer holidays ! Each song was about 50 seconds long, and taken from a book called
'Sing Together'.

Here in the UK it is a widely used little childrens song book, and it is BRILLIANT! Many of the little songs are on the Examination Board syllabuses, and lots are simply, but beautifully arranged folk songs from all over the world.

I have about 4 books which live on the side of my piano, and the small 'purple' one is always top of the pile. It can be very difficult to find songs for under 12's - well any that are not requiring a chest voice the size of Manchester, and a scream factor of 60 ! There are other stalwart collections that I use, but 'Sing Together' is my teaching 'breakfast, lunch and dinner'. Sadly I do not have any shares in the publishing company, so I am not 'selling' the book, but if you want a great set of songs for teaching, or indeed teaching in school, this is your man!

I recorded a simple version of Bobby Shafto, and little folksong called The Miller. Songs for children need to be in an easy and managable range, preferably between D above Middle C and the D above that, then they can span the range effortlessly, and strainfree. Blimey, I am getting technical!

The other reason why it is a great book is because it is full of FUN songs, and make us laugh in lessons, a vital component of teaching for me, and the little mites who leap into my music room for their weekly 20 minutes!

There is a lovely arrangement of 'Michael Finnigan', which my aforementioned chappie who sang a brilliant 'Kangaroo', performed in the last concert we gave. He brought the house down with his hilarious rendition of this unfortunate who had a number of tragic events in his life, which are, incongruously, set to the cheeriest of melodies.

The tiny girl for whom I recorded songs yesterday stands around a metre in height, and has a voice as large as a baby elephant on steroids, and sings with real gusto. I know she will learn the songs - with Grannie's all important imput - in 6 minutes flat and will then need more!

Hang in there Granny........................!

1 comment:

  1. Michael Finnigan was the first thing I remember singing in public. I think I was about 10 and I sang it unofficially at a Christmas do for my Grandfathers lodge party. My mother didn't approve of my choice of song greatly (unaccompanied of course) but I just loved it. I think it was after this that she set out to teach me a number of 'better' pieces to perform when asked. Mostly folk songs but there were a few that weren't too. All appropriate child sized stuff.

    Music was never a problem round the family - there was a ton of it hanging round in all shapes and sizes. All the family sang and most played some instruments as well.

    My share is now being put to good use by a friend and her students.

    viv

    ReplyDelete