Wednesday 13 October 2010

On the Road again...




Well, the car is packed, the suitcases are bursting (and I hav'nt even left the country yet!) the travel snacks are sitting enticingly on the passenger seat and the tank is as full of unleaded as I can get it.

The house is clean thanks to a great deal of help from my young 'Housekeeper' R, and the washing is all done.........it's time to go.

I only taught 3 lessons this morning, and they were relaxed and easy, so stress did not set in, knowing there was still, at that point, lots to do before I sleep!

I had dinner with my parents, who HATE the fact that I am going away, in the local fine dining hostelry, which was delicious, so there is not even a speck of washing up to do ! The food cupboard and the fridges are naked, and the kitchen floor is gleaming.

Now, what have I forgotten ? If indeed I have it will come to me, with any luck, between now and tomorrow morning.

I have had some lovely feedback from yesterday's post about Dame Joan, and I am glad a number of folk took the time to listen to the glorious Caro Nome. I just listened to it again ! And yes, it is still as beautiful, as unstrained and liquid as it was yesterday, and as it was 41 years ago. So I even cleared up that little pre leaving dilemma.

There is something so satisfying about clearing and cleaning, and it feels so pleasing to leave order and calm behind, and knowing that it will be just as tidy and peaceful when I return. I think I thrive on order, maybe that is why I love Bach and Handel so much ? Such wonderfully '4 square' music, so within the box, and uncluttered by rubato and flamboyance.

Rather like Dame Joan's voice, it has order and purity, simplicity and elegance, but never overblown sentiment. Sometimes, even the 'galant' of Mozart can be a little too rich. Then only Baroque will do.

Listen to some recordings of Handel arias like 'Tornami a vagheggiar' from Alcina or 'Dopo Notte' from Ariodante, and 'Piangero' from Julius Caeser. You will be astonished and thrilled by the excitement and furore of the music. It is like sailing on a musical speed boat !

Am off - will try to find my usual Costa Coffee on the motorway - they better have finished the flippin' renovations or there will be coffee hell to pay!

1 comment:

  1. Talking can actually do more damage to your vocal chords than singing can, so not talking for most of the day is a really great way to keep your voice intact. vocal tips for singers

    ReplyDelete