Friday 24 December 2010

For unto us a Child is Born





Well, I thought about it and thought about it, and decided to wish all my readers a very Merry Christmas with my favourite chorus from the Christmas Music of The Messiah - For unto us a Child is Born.

This is a clip of the most unusual version I have ever seen. The singing is great, and I just love the staging.

I really hope it puts everyone in the mood for Christmas Day, and that it has the same appeal to you as it has to me. I don't really understand exactly what the meaning is, but for me, it worked ! What I loved the most was the genuine joy on the singers faces, so often the music is joyful but the church or cathedral choir is following the score and the conductor so closely that the underlying happines is masked. Here I feel the joy of the moment, combined with Handel's exhilerating music. It made me 'tingle' !

Give it a go ! And a very Happy Christmas, and a Peaceful and Joyous 2011 to everyone.







MESSIAH
A Sacred Oratorio in three parts by
Georg Friedrich Händel.

Libretto by Charles Jennens

Staged version by Claus Guth

Susan Gritton, Soprano
Cornelia Horak, Soprano
Martin Pöllmann, Knabensopran
Bejun Mehta, Countertenor
Richard Croft, Tenor
Florian Boesch, Bass

Arnold Schönberg Chor
Ensemble Matheus
Dir. Jean-Christophe Spinosi

Wien, Theater an der Wien
April 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment