Friday 10 December 2010

New Song Day



Fits like a.......

I taught some of my newly 'thawed out' pupils today, and what a joy to get back in the musical saddle ! It was 'new song day' for a number of them, and I always love that moment in the term, as I can indulge my own love of songs, and rifle through the beautifully filed boxes of repertoire, to find the exact song for the pupil, a song which fits like a proverbial glove, not a compromise for exams or festivals, just a song for their pleasure. It is like reliving music which I have known and loved, and seeing it through new eyes.

There is a lovely book for children called 'Pick and Choose' full of delightful songs for the 8's - 12's, composed by Aubrey Beswick, whose name, I always feel, conjours up a vision of a rather shy and introvert Curate in a rural parish ! Talk about making assumptions! I am ashamed to say I know nothing about the man! Anyhow, there is a song called Twilight (like the film!) which I gave to a rather shy and quietly confident 9 year old. It will suit both her lovely voice, and her intelligent demeanour.

Another student, my lady who brings a softness into the music room, and calms the day - although she would probably disagree with that! - sang her 'Bless this House' by Mary Brahe, a much maligned song which is so often sentimentalised and made so sugary, it's simple and honest message becomes overlooked, and we forget what a lyrical and sweet melody it has. I told her after she had performed it that I had nothing to say. Just occasionally someone sings something which seems written just for them, and with just the right amount of emotion, or drama, or personal feeling, that for me to interfere would ruin a perfect moment.

Thank you E, it made my day.

I need a few more of those moments to warm up this bitter, dark and relentless winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment