Friday 14 January 2011

Digital 1 - Antique 2



Shelves of the stuff.....


The rain falls in torrents...............it is forecast to go on for the next few days, but it is still better than snow!

I had a lovely lunch date today with a friend, as a belated birthday present. There is a superb restaurant in Plockton, about 30 minutes from Paradise, which is very high quality, lots of fresh products, and innovative combinations of flavours. However, I still always have the Cullen Skink, which is, without doubt the finest smoked fish soup in the whole world !

I have ventured into even more technologyon my teaching website. I decided that as one can download almost any song in Christendom from free and paying sites, it was time that my pupils learnt to do just that. I can link a particular song, in a particular key to my teaching site, so all that they have to do is click, buy and print !

In the early days of Schubertline.co.uk the choice was much more limited, but the library of songs has expanded at a rate of knots and there is everything from 1600 - 1930 in terms of genre, so it is a fantastically useful resource.

I chose some songs tailored for each student, so a lovely lady whom I have just started has the Thomas Ford 'Since First I saw your Face', and my fast moving teenager R was given the Bach/Gounod 'Ave Maria', as a possible item for her solo during the registration at a summer wedding.

What a brilliant thing to be able to do. How marvelous that one can put a piece into any key at the stroke of a keyboard button ! The wonders of the internet!

It also gives me valuable thinking time, I do not need to rush the choice of repertoire. I can ruminate and run it around in my brain and decide upon something just perfect for an individual. I do, of course most often use my library shelves, groaning with music, and mostly filed to perfection, so I can lay my grubby fingers on the Vaughan Williams 'Four Last Songs' quicker than one could spell the words!

The digital world of music is an added dimension, and quite fun !

The odd thing is, most of my young trendy Facebookish pupils, my daughter and her peers, all seem supremely incapable of using these sites, and are constantly asking me for the old weatherbeaten books from my shelves ! Guess who pays the postage?

Digital, they say, is like the curates egg......good in parts......!

No comments:

Post a Comment