Friday 5 October 2012

Challenges This Way --->

I apologise for the lack of posts over the last week ! Actually I have just been working much of the time, and had a super couple of days away over the weekend, and much retail therapy in Ikea! Ah........

I have, however, been giving some thought to the fact that a small posse of my lady pupils have been worrying ever so slightly about tackling and memorising some of their new repertoire. I suppose it never occurred to me that late arrivals in the singing world would not really appreciate that after their years of hard graft, they have arrived at truly 'grown up' and top of the range music !

When I spent most of my time teaching teenagers and twenties, their perception was one of, as they got older, the music got trickier, and they would gain more technique and love the fact that progress was so self evident ! Seems perfectly simple !

But - my older pupils seem to forget sometimes how far they have progressed ! In the years they have all had lessons, some as many as 9 or 10 years, they have moved from complete beginner, terrified of the sound of their own (lovely) voices, and probably just as terrified of my barmy and unique approach to teaching singing, to highly skilled singers in their own right, and hopefully not scared witless by me or the music!

I am now stating publicly that ' Ladies you are fantastic, you are all singing real music, and you won't be able to memorise in one week, nor would I want you to! '

Now is there any more I can do to make myself clear ? The repertoire I am talking about is big stuff by Purcell, Handel, Bach and Britten.........need I say more?! This is such gorgeously tough stuff you all need to pat yourselves on the back that I give such marvellous and challenging music to you all.

Gosh, that was a bit of a rant. Hope they all come back next week or I may end up in the Paradise workhouse.

No comments:

Post a Comment