Saturday 1 December 2012

The Rocking Carol and a Christmas Fair

Today was beautifully sunny and very frosty. I do love the bright autumn colours combined with the white sparkly frost on the lawn and the roofs of houses. Here in West Sussex the houses which are over a few hundred years old are a warm red colour, with soft hues of cream and maroon, and in the winter time the colours have a soft glow.

It was the great turning on of the Christmas lights in the town square this evening combined with an old fashioned Christmas Fair complete with roundabouts, a hog roast and all the local choirs singing seasonal music. S's Chapel Choir from the school where she works were among the performers, and they sang some lovely music including a couple of carols very beautifully arranged by a music teacher at the school, as well as some some pot boilers, known to all the locals standing listening. We were all huddled in scarves, Barbour coats, woolly gloves and boots. The temperature was below freezing, but the brightly coloured lights and the jolly stalls selling hand made delicacies made for a cosy and smiley evening.

One tiny 8 year old sang the Rocking Carol.........Little Jesus Sweetly Sleep.......into a microphone, which was the only way which she would have been heard, so beautifully. She sang with confidence and a strong tone. It is a simple but everlasting and timeless melody, one day I think I must try and write my own arrangement of it. It is a traditional Czech carol with such a gorgeous sentiment. 'We will lend a coat of fur', I remember the translated words so well, and I think I must have sung it in school since I was in the infants class with the wonderful Miss Varley as my music teacher!

I feel very Christmassy now, ready for the season and ready for some mince pies! Get baking in Paradise........I'm a coming home soon!




No comments:

Post a Comment