Saturday 14 September 2013

Not quite the weekend from Heaven

Not quite the time away I was expecting ! Due to storms and hill slides close to the Abbey on the escarpment I spent four hours trying to get to the sisters, having already driven from Paradise for 10 hours, and no matter how hard I tried I could not find a way up the moor.

Lost on the Yorkshire Moors in pitch black, and with no phone signal at all, in desperation I put my sat nav on and told it to take me another hour away to my lovely friend J at Littlebeck.

She took in a poor wayfarin stranger who was at the point of tears and collapse at around 10.30pm, having set off from Paradise at 8 am.........

I was not in any state to teach the next day, and to my eternal relief when J rang the Benedictines the next morning, they were, as I hoped full of sympathy and horror at my nightmare excursion. Dear J then proceeded to give me two days of rest and recuperation and wonderful food.

In all honesty this has rather shaken me up, and I still feel a tad wobbly, but am almost home and ready to have a very quiet day tomorrow in readiness for a weeks' teaching.

Phew

Zzzzzzzzzzzzz

 

The sort of weather which caused the road slips which caused my nightmare journey, pics of Whitby and Saltburn a few days ago !

 
Whitby Abbey cliff slide
 
Two pictures of Saltburn - unrecognisable !

For those of you who know these places, it is very shocking, and one can see the damage North Yorkshire has taken, and why my trip was so impossible!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment