Saturday 24 January 2015

Stranded of Scullamus..........

What a funny old morning ! I left home promptly at 3am, my friend Kate kindly driving me over to Inverness Airport from whence I am due to fly to Manchester, then on to the delightful nuns at Boarbank Hall in Grange over Sands.......well that was the theory !

It was blowing a sizable blizzard most of the way and snow was lying quite thickly on roads, verges and mountains. It would normally take around two and a half hours to the airport, today was nearer to three and a half. On arriving at the departure lounge with barely an official minute to make it through to the gate, I was hurried through and breathlessly sat down before expecting to be called immediately for boarding.

Minutes passed and it was clear that the flashing lights of the runway clearing vehicles outside were hoovering up snow like starving and mildly deranged Arctic ants. So after a little while it became obvious that we would not be flying anywhere in a hurry !

So here I am, ensconced in an empty Servisair Lounge, already on my third coffee and having had my breakfast. The airport is closed until at least 8am, then a recheck - or should I say 'snowcheck' will happen. Watch this space methinks.

My train ticket to Grange from Manchester Airport is for 11am, and it is at moments like this that I am glad I allow lots of transition time, so if we leave at 8 o'clock ish I think I will still make it.

Life is always exciting in this part of the world, indeed Kate had a fully prepared car including shovel, blankets, water, kettle and emergency food - and how sensible that is. Not so very long ago I was caught at Invergarry by a sudden and heavy snow fall and luckily grabbed the last available room at the Invergarry Hotel ! At least here I can wile away the time with snacks, drinks, comfy chairs, and lounge wifi, so not so much suffering as pleasantly frustrated ?!

Will I get to said sisters in Cumbria ? That is the million dollar question ! Answers on a postcard ( with a gloriously snowy view on the picture side of course) and posted to Inverness Airport !

Devoid of travellers........If I am here much longer I may have to imbibe a mid morning gin and tonic....

Update

8.30pm

I finally arrived, a little bit exhausted from a rather broken up and scrambled journey with extra train sections, and a bus replacement, but have had a few hours shuteye in my lovely and usual room. After sharing a meal with the sisters this evening I can now crash and recover from the travel in readiness for starting teaching on Monday.

The Prioress, Sr Eileen told me that tomorrow in the nuns refectory the Bishop is coming to lunch, so best foot forward for a good Sunday lunch in elevated circles ! Hope it is roast beef......

Yum yum ! And I don't mean the character in The Mikado !

No comments:

Post a Comment