Thursday 31 March 2011

The Orchestra Song Finale

 
The sweeping staircase in the front entrance of Boarbank Guest House

What a blessed and happy few days I have had here at Boarbank Hall. The sisters took on the job of vowel shapes and downward scales with a will and by last evening at Vespers the tone was much more unified and I heard all the words !
On top of that I think they have all really enjoyed the singing, and even those who may have been a little nervous at first, or who maybe felt that singing lessons in a convent were 'surplus to requirements', happily joined in and gave it their best shot! I think they are won round, and maybe see that a little unification of sound adds to their praise.

For those who found some voice that they thought they had not got, it was a great 3 days, and a number went away feeling renewed confidence for those moments when they have to lead, or they are the Heb Dom for the week and have to sing the first moment of the service. If any sisters read this, I hope I have got that right - my knowledge of the intricacies of the Office is woeful indeed !

At the end of the final session I thought we might sing something non liturgical and fun, so my 'never failed yet' part song for such moments is to teach a few of the parts of the 'The Orchestra Song' - universally enjoyed, parts of all difficulties, and for high, low and best of all, 'no man's land' voice ranges - Oh, and for male and female! What more could one ask, a song to fit all, with 6 parts to choose from!
This went down very well, and we used the Clarinet part, the Horn part and the Drums, and I sang the Fiddle ! It went with a real swing, and made for some unexpected hilarity. Three ladies in habits singing 'The drum has no trouble.......Boom Boom Boom Boom Boom.....was a sight and sound to behold!

I am being taken to the station at midday today then on to the airport and finally back to Inverness by late this evening. I am staying over with some friends in Inverness before attending a meeting at L's school in the morning, which is to discuss his 'transition' from school to big wide world, academically and musically speaking.

I may then do a smidge of shopping before returning to Paradise, replete after my injection of 'nunning' for another few months anyhow!

No comments:

Post a Comment