Saturday 17 August 2013

Today, pride is definitely not a sin !

Teaching starts on Monday and I need to get back in vocal shape, so to speak ! It comes around so quickly one wonders where the holidays go. They seem to slide away on a helter skelter !

I went to Portree today in the lashing rain and howling wind. There was a Faith Day on the island which was made up of many and various films, discussions, artwork and a commissioned dance piece. This was choreographed by our own L, under the Skyedance banner. It lasted about 20 minutes or so and was performed by the 'Company'. This group is dynamic and exciting, and so full of zeal and enthusiasm, but also beautiful execution and technique. She is such an inspiring teacher, and interestingly I can see her physical mark writ large through the whole group and their performance.

The old saying 'Teachers change the world, one child at a time' was never more true than when I watch these teens working with clear integrity, commitment and such drive. She has given them so much and they have taken it and made it shine. It quite brought tears to my eyes.

I think that at this moment, even this week, my past and present pupils are putting on sell out performances of Britten's opera, Albert Herring, under the Samling Academy banner, another is appearing as Don Alfonso in Cosi at the Edinburgh Festival, my daughter was all day in the recording studio with her pupil, Jonathan Antoine of Britain's Got Talent fame, making sure his young and fragile voice is really looked after, and hopefully never exploited, and young L is presenting her own piece commissioned by the Scottish National Galleries and ATLAS. (Of course I take no honours in any way for the dance work!!!)

I could think, if I did not still have to earn an honest crust, that it just may be time for me to hang up my vocal tap shoes and let them all get on with it!

I never thought it was possible to feel so proud.

Miranda's lot!

 
Tom's lot !

Sara's charge !

Lorayne's lot !

 

No comments:

Post a Comment