Saturday 3 January 2015

The Habanera from Carmen - a huge leap of faith !

I am getting used to the thought that I am receiving this honour, and I think the major feelings are an overall humble sense of pride. I would have gone on doing my job, and will go on in just the same way - from that point of view it makes no difference to my life and vocation. I am humbled because to be recognised for hard work by folk who know me is the real honour.

My grandaughter is, of course, desperate to go dress shopping, but we will not make the mistake of doing this too soon - after all the ceremony may be in winter, spring or high summer, so the temperature will dictate the layers ! Holding her back from Next or New Look may be a task I will happily hand over to her mother !

Hats fit for a Queen ! Ooh eck !

 

I taught for the first time today since Dec 8th, and it felt good to be back in the saddle ! M, who won her scholarship to Dollar Academy has to have her lessons in the holidays or half term times, so today we looked for new music and had a blow at scales and new exercises. She is 16 and her voice is changing each time I hear her, and today we had to revisit using one's support to allow a big and bright voice space and strength to develop and 'sound' it's ringing best. She is becoming a super lowish mezzo.

M can do 'funny' superbly but today she told me with all the gravitas of a bright teen that she fancied a change and would like something serious ! So, with a little trepidation on my part, I decided to go the whole hog and give her the Habanera from Bizet's Carmen ! Yes, yes I know it is much too large, too dark and too adult for her, but she will be in safe hands and will give a performance of it completely within her own vocal box size. Just the thought of singing something so grown up, and thus complex made her quiver with delight !

I immediately realised that if I give Inner Sound the chorus to sing we can perform a fantastic operatic finale at the (rapidly approaching...) concerts in February ! Things do just fall into place sometimes.

Back to the fray......with a vengeance !

 

No comments:

Post a Comment