Wednesday 3 February 2016

Gluck, Strauss, Caccini all mixed up with Hans Christian Anderson and a teaspoon of Wesley !

My final week before the next adventure and I am cramming in as many pupils as I can ! Then, to scupper the best laid plans along came Storm Henry which was so violent in these parts none of my mainland pupils managed to make it over the bridge which links Paradise with the mainland ! It was as if blustery Henry came along specifically to make this busy and packed week even more busy and more sardine like !

Thankfully the storm has blown itself out as I write, and after an excellent concert rehearsal this evening it is looking fine and dandy for the rest of the teaching week ! The medley from that delightful musical with Danny Kaye, Hans Christian Anderson is coming on a pace, and we semi blocked a few moments in 'Wonderful Copenhagen', so as to give the finale of the first half of the concert a jolly and show like feel.

I have resurrected the lovely Vicar of Dibley theme tune, The Lord is my Shepherd set by Howard Goodall, and the SSA version is also coming along very well. It is not very difficult but there are some moving chord sequences with unexpected harmonies which keep the ladies on their toes, but it was sounding very solid this evening, and with a nicely warm tone.

We are also enjoying that timeless anthem Lead me Lord by Wesley, it never fails, is always beautiful, and such a wonderful exercise for pp singing. Lots of open vowels, huge amounts of breath but a sweet yet focused soft dynamic. It is something I began teaching 35 years ago and has had a constant place in my repertoire since then. Truly wonderful music just goes on and on - difficulty levels are simply irrelevant, glorious melody and harmony shine through........

As yet I have made three of my video recordings and very good they are. I deliberately wanted to use these as a teaching aid, so some are work in progress, and some more 'finished'. So far NC recorded a beautiful Strauss song Die Nacht, L recorded a strong and heartfelt Amarylli by Caccini, and boy you can clearly see her abdominal breathing, then NM sang Gluck's 'O del Mio Dolce Ardor', with top notes so powerful and centred my ears almost could'nt bear it ! I am looking forward to the younger girls proving themselves over the next two days.

I shall be a proud teacher to show my Hong Kong students, should I need to use the sight and sound to help me explain myself !

Back to the packing.........

Wonderful wonderful Copenhagen........

 

 

Will it all fit.....

 

No comments:

Post a Comment